Monday, March 10, 2008

The Project

This is just a quick run down of what's been done prior to establishing this blog. Don't worry, you didn't miss much. Just before the B was shipped to me in Colorado, Lynn had the brakes completely redone to include the master cylinder. She mentioned there was a power issue but was not sure of the source. I wasn't too worried because I had planned to have the motor completely rebuilt once I got it. Turns out it was only running on three cylinders. No big deal since the block and head were tested and in good shape. On with the rebuild. This is where the frustration began. I took it to Burt's Auto Supply in Colorado Springs. This was suggested by a member of the MG Car Club (RMC). Turns out it was a bad idea. I spent $1800 to have it rebuilt only to get it back in the car and sit for about 5 months. Why was it sitting you might ask? The techs at Burts accidently plugged the oil flow back gallery. This probably isn't the real name, but it's the hole/tube where the unused oil flows back into the pan. Well if the oil can't go back into the pan, where does it go? All over my garage (the birth place of creative cussing). Of course I had no idea why my oil pressue was through the roof and why my oil filter kept literally flying of the mount. I figured: must be a bad filter, or bad seal, or plugged oil cooler, or plugged line. Finally, after replacing all those things and after many phone calls to Burt's, they realized what they did and came over and drilled out and the plug. No big deal, we all make mistakes.

Finally I got to hear the sweet purring of a newly rebuilt MG motor...for about 15 mins. Then she died. A good friend of mine, Stephen (who is not getting nearly the credit he deserves in this blog. I'll cite him later), mentioned a few possible diagnosis just before he moved to South Dakota. Come back Stephen! I finally buckled and had it towed to Metric Motors in Colorado Springs. They determined that Burt's had tightened the valves too tight causing them to lock up once warmed up. They also found a seal put in backwards. Thanks Burt's. I could've duked it out with them making them fix it, but I wasn't willing to let them touch my B again. In the words of my beloved president: "fool me once, shame on you...me. Fool me twice, shame....uh....shame on uh.... How's it go Condy?"

Metric did a great job and the motor is now running great! I've driven her a few times to work and am excited to move on to other things on the B. From this point on, each step/mini-project will have it's own post with pictures. Please stay tuned and let me know what you like and most importantly what you don't like.

1 comment:

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

You are so stinkin' gifted. Who would have thought you could get in a dig of old GW on your car restoration blog! I love it!!!