Monday, March 10, 2008

The B's History

I can't even begin to discuss this specific MGB without first talking about my family's MG history. Let me first say my initials are MGB (Mike Grant Beagley). This is no accident. My two brothers are also MGB's. Working backwards on the family tree, my father Paul Beagley drives a beautiful 78 Midget. Parked next to it in the garage is a 47 TC. (And in case I haven't made it clear to my 4 siblings: dibs on the TC when Dad kicks it). My Grandfather, Douglass Beagley, drives/owns a long list of MGs to include a MGB V-8, MGA Twin Cam, MGB LE, MGB GT, and MGB. I believe there is a Midget rusting somewhere in his back yard too. But it's just a Midget. No big deal, right Dad?
So about this 76 B I'm working on. I had always entertained the idea of continuing the family curse, I mean tradition by picking up a decent MG. Right about that time my Aunt Lynn Rowley, (of Kirkland, WA) emailed me asking if I was interested in taking her B of her hands. I'm not sure the specifics of why she parted with it, but I certainly wasted no time in trying to talk her out of it. It took a few months to work the logistics, but I finally had it shipped to my place in Colorado in the fall of 2006. We're not quite sure who the original owner is, but my Aunt Lynn bought it from her close friend Lynn Kurland. This is the cool part of the story. Lynn Kurland is a successful published author who uses a picture (taken by my Aunt Lynn) of her in the B on the back of all her novels. That's right, it's famous and therefore so am I. This is my 15 mins.
Previous Ower Lynn Kurland (author)
in my MGB.
Thanks Lynn!

1 comment:

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

Congatulations on the Blog, as well as the B. I'm so excited to check out its progress. I'll definitely get in contact w/ Lynn... You're the best!