Monday, October 20, 2008

Small Interior Projects

This last weekend the weather was awesome. So I set out to give the B a nice wash and wax in preparation for the quickly invading winter. As all MG owners know, it always starts with a quick wash and wax. She did get a much needed buffing as well as some other small interior projects I had been putting off for some time. Check it out and let me know what you think. Cheers!

#1 Wash & Wax
Caiden helped me wash it then I spent most of the evening waxing. I switched from Turtle Wax to McGuire's paste wax. I'm pretty happy with it. If it's been some time since you waxed your MG and the paint is looking a bit shabby, I highy recommend McGuire's Cleaner Wax. This will actually revitalize you paint and remove any small scratches or swirls. I applied it when I first got the B from Lynn. I suggest you only use it once as it does go deep into the paint. I also gave the top a coat of leather treatment. Here's some pics of her all pretty and ready for the prom.




#2 Remove and Paint the Running Boards
I pulled these off with the intention of just scrubbing them down and removing all the dirt, surface rust, and grime stuck in all the grooves. But after several washes and scrubbings, they still looked pretty bad. I'll probably replace these through Victoria British. I believe they cost around $50. But since I had paint left over from the wheel project I figured I couldn't do much harm to them by throwing a coat of silver on. I think it paid off and it looks some much better, especially in person.

Some "before" shots. Since the old screws were rusted on and stripped, I had to use a small flat head and hammer to break them off.
What it looked like underneath. I gave this a good scrubbing, light sanding on the surface rust, and good waxing.

After a good scrubbing, I hit them with a primer coat using the left over primer from the wheel project. See that post for the details.

Next, I put on the same silver paint left over from the wheel project.

Finally, I hit it with some clear coat for extra protection. I replaced all the screws with #8 3/4" self tapping screws. ($8.00 at Lowes)
Some "after" pics.

#3 Misc Projects
These were really quick projects that I didn't get "before" shots of.

I pulled the ash try, primed and repainted it black. It was pretty scratched up. I also repaired the arm rest which has been missing since I got the car.

I cut some left over carpet (from the trunk project) and tucked it under the dash to conceal all the wiring. There is a plastic bottom dash piece you can buy from VB. I think it runs around $80. This picture isn't that good. I used velcro to secure it under the dash. This way I can still easily get to my wiring.

I replaced the orginal shifter with a slightly shorter, chrome shifter. Then I removed the old leather boot and just kept the rubber boot in place. I think it looks a bit sportier. I also polished up the chrome housing ring.

Even the garage got a small make-over.


#4 Steering Wheel Re-Finish
I've had a replacement steering wheel I bought off eBay for $11.00 that I've been meaning to put on. The leather wrap on the original wheel was peeling and got pretty bad. So since I spent so little on this new (but used) steering wheel, I thought I'd play around and try out a "Rostyle" finish like the rims. I think it came out pretty cool. All the paint I used was left over from the rim project.

"Before" shot. The spokes were a bit scuffed.
I wrapped the leather in plastic to protect from overspray the I hit with a coat of primer.
Next, I followed with a coat of black. I learned from the rim project that the silver paint tends to peel if you try to mask it, even after letting it dry 48 hours. So I did black first, then taped off the sections I wanted to remain black.

Then I hit it with another primer coat and followed with the silver. Then I pulled the tape off and here's the final product. Also, here's a picture of the old wheel next to the newer finished wheel. I also painted the logo on the rubber horn cover to match the car.









































































2 comments:

Steve, Lynn & Brian said...

Your attention to detail is awesome! Everything looks wonderful. I'm so impressed. Thanks for keeping updated on your babies progress...

MGBeags said...

G D Mike! G effing D you are brillant. I want you...now. Can you tell me the next time you will be alone and vulnerable? And where?